Blood samples sent to the Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe by Luweero District medical department have confirmed two more Ebola positive patients, bringing the number to four, including the two who passed away last week.
The Luweero District Health Officer, Mr Joseph Okware, said blood samples for a patient admitted to Bombo Army General Hospital on Monday, have tested positive with Ebola Sudan strain and another patient who was in close contact with one of the victims and is now admitted to Mulago National Referral Hospital, has also been confirmed Ebola positive.
“We are also sending more blood samples for five people whom we suspect came in contact with some of the victims. We also have a confirmation that the woman who had crossed to Jinja yet she is a key contact person has been intercepted by the medical teams,” Dr Okware said.
Panic has been reported at the different health centres in Luweero, with several patients reportedly abandoning the health units while the medical personnel claim they have not received protective gear.
“It would be very important that the lives of the health workers are also secure because our units have not closed,” a nurse at Bamunanika Health Centre III who did not want her names mentioned, said.
However, Dr Okware said while the main focus was on the facilities at Bombo Military Hospital, Kasana Health Centre IV and Nyimbwa Health Centre, the other units, would also be taken care of.