MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) - More than 50 people have died in Mindanao from the onslaught of Typhoon Pablo (international name Bopha), authorities said Tuesday.
In New Bataan town in Compostela Valley, at least 43 people died when flash floods swept away an Army patrol base.
"I've counted 43 bodies on the floor," ABS-CBN News Southern Mindanao reporter Vina Araneta told ANC by telephone. Lt. Col. Lyndon Paniza, spokesman of the Army's 10th Infantry Division, confirmed the deaths.
He said 23 others were injured while 6 soldiers remain missing.
Paniza said he has no confirmed information yet on the number of missing civilians in the Compostela Valley flashflood.
Compostela Valley Governor Arturo Uy said local officials told him earlier in the day that 34 people were killed in New Bataan.
"It's possible they have found more bodies," Uy told ANC.
"Ang unang balita, may biglang isang malaking bugso ng tubig galing sa bundok na di nila inasahan," he said. "Nag-request na po ako ng chopper sa Army. Nanawagan rin ako na whatever assistance maibigay -- rescue equipment," he added.
Benito Ramos, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), told ANC he has no information yet on the Compostela Valley tragedy. He said they are still verifying the reports.
Eight other people have also died in Surigao del Sur province, which is now under a state of calamity.
Five died in Trento, 2 were killed in Lingig, while 1 died in Bislig, according to radio dzMM's Noel Alamar.
"I was able to penetrate Bislig City, Lingig in Surigao Sur. Site of destruction. People need help here," Alamar said on Twitter Tuesday night.