The Supreme Council of Health (SCH) has announced that a new Middle East Respiratory Syndrome corona virus was reported in Qatar.
The patient is a 59-year-old Qatari citizen who felt the symptoms while abroad and upon his arrival he was checked up and diagnosed with the disease in the National Influenza Laboratory, said the SCH in a press release issued here on Tuesday.
The SCH stressed that the patient is receiving the appropriate medical treatment and he is now in a stable condition.
The SCH emphasized that surveillance and monitoring procedures are always tightening up and infection control for all cases of acute respiratory infections, especially for those coming from the travel, are also tightened up, said the press release.
It pointed out that all the samples are being examined at the National Influenza Laboratory in coordination with Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC).
The Supreme Council is keen to inform the citizens and the residents alike of the new information or health and epidemiology of infectious diseases and provide them with the latest related developments and to provide them with appropriate support when needed.
In Saudi Arabia, the virus was first detected among animals in 2011. A Saudi doctor had detected it in cooperation with a Dutch research centre. This was disclosed by Dr Mohamed Al Hajri, Director of Health Protection and Communicable Diseases Control at the Supreme Council of Health.
And that's it. Nothing about where the man had been travelling, what his symptoms were, or where he's being treated. If he was returning to Qatar, was he flying, on a bus, or in a car with others? We don't know if he had close contact with others on his return trip, or if the authorities are tracking down any such contacts.
Equally maddening is the absence of news in other Qatari media, with even the famed Al Jazeera offering a minimalist account of the case. The Qataris are making the Saudis look like blabbermouths.