Shock, pandemonium, and fear gripped Lagosians as another five persons from Ago area of Lagos reportedly died of cholera recently. Before now, three persons were confirmed dead out of the 13 cases reported to the Ministry of Health.
Sunday, 25, a newspaper vendor in Ago Palace Way, Okota, Lagos state was found dead on the staircase of a residential building in the area recently. It was also discovered that another young man who tried helping the deceased in his helpless state to the hospital died few hours after Sunday’s death. Comments from neighbours suggested that he stooled and vomited profusely the previous day.
Chika Eze, a resident in a wing of the complex located by Marcity bus-stop, Ago, Lagos told Saturday Vanguard how Sunday, from Abia State who made the corridor of the complex his home had shown no sign of illness until the day before his death eating African Salad popularly known as Abacha.
Eze disclosed that the deceased was stooling and vomiting consistently from Friday evening till Saturday when he was taken to the hospital. “We rushed him to a nearby hospital but he wasn’t attended to because we couldn’t pay the mandatory deposit.’’
We brought him back to the complex and tried ‘self – treatment’ and there was no improvement. It was about 8pm that fateful evening that someone upstairs screamed that Sunday had died on the staircase.
The founder of Balm of Life Ministry (BLM) at the wing of the complex where Sunday died, Pastor Ralph James, said: Sunday could have survived if he had gotten financial help to pay the required deposit at the hospital. So, it was a great shock that Sunday morning to see his corpse lying on the staircase. It is indeed so sad.”
Awa Idika, a, fashion designer who seldom sleeps in the complex exhibited the same symptoms but was lucky because he had some money to pay for treatment. He approached Treasure Gold Hospital in the area where he promptly received treatment. According him, he had taken about 59 drips within 72 hours.
Narrating his ordeal, Idika said: “I shared a plate of pepper soup and a bottle of stout with my wife last week Monday. But I later woke up in the middle of the night stooling which lasted for more than four times before dawn. I didn’t see it as anything and went about my work. Again, since I didn’t eat anything, I thought the stooling would stop but it continued with intermittent vomiting. So, I spent four days in the hospital and paid the sum of N100,000 [US$630] before I was discharged."
That same day, Saturday Vanguard gathered a woman and her son who were said to have eaten the popular African Salad called ‘abacha’ were both hospitalised after showing similar symptoms. The 15-year old boy died after a few hours while the mother as at press time, is still receiving treatment in another hospital.