Via the Centre for Health Protection: Tourist with respiratory symptoms and travel history under CHP investigation. Excerpt:
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health (DH) received notification from Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) today (December 19) of a suspected case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome affecting a 67-year-old man.
The patient, with underlying medical condition, presented with cough and runny nose since December 14. He consulted a private doctor today and was subsequently transferred to PMH for further management under isolation.
Initial investigations by the CHP revealed that the patient arrived in Hong Kong from Qatar alone on December 17. He had no contact with animals nor patients in Qatar. He is currently in stable condition.
The patient's respiratory specimens will be taken for preliminary laboratory tests by the Public Health Laboratory Services Branch of the CHP.
Locally, the CHP will continue its surveillance mechanism at public and private hospitals, with practising doctors and at the airport for any suspected case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.
"No human infection with this virus has been identified so far in Hong Kong," the spokesman said.
"We would like to reassure the public that the Government will be as transparent as possible in the dissemination of information on cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Whenever there is a suspected case, particularly involving patients with travel history to the Middle East, the CHP will release information to the public as soon as possible," the spokesman said.