Via Inquirer News: Measles cases up in Metro, says DOH. Excerpt:
The Department of Health warned the public Wednesday about a spike in the incidence of measles in Manila, noting that the number of cases this year was seven times more than a year ago.
Statistics released by the Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit showed a total of 179 confirmed measles cases from January 1 to December 10, 2013, 616 percent more than the 25 cases registered during the same period last year.
The health department’s Metro Manila regional director, Eduardo Janairo, advised residents to take the necessary precautions, saying measles could bring about such complications as ear infections, pneumonia and even inflammation of the brain.
“It is also highly contagious and can be spread easily through cough and sneeze and direct contact with affected persons through nose or mouth secretions,” Janairo said, adding that measles infection in a pregnant woman can lead to miscarriage, premature birth or a low-birth weight.
According to a Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit report, the ages of the 179 cases ranged from 1 month to 37 years, with most of those affected belonging to the 1-4 years age-group and majority were males.
Two deaths were reported, in Malabon City and Muntinlupa City, the report added.