Via the South China Morning Post: Elderly man latest to die in Hong Kong after contracting H7N9 bird flu. Excerpt:
A 75-year-old man infected with the H7N9 bird flu virus has died, making him the third Hongkonger to have succumbed after contracting the disease.
The man, who had long-term health problems including hypertension and diabetes, had spent seven days in Bao’an district, Shenzhen, staying in an area near live poultry stalls. The previous victims had also spent time in Shenzhen, where samples of the virus had been found in wet markets.
He returned to Hong Kong on 26 January with mild flu symptoms.
The man was admitted to Tuen Mun Hospital on Tuesday with fever and severe pneumonia, and died on Wednesday morning.
"It was likely to be another imported case from mainland," said Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan of the Centre for Health Protection.
She said the man was able to pass through screening at the border as he had not developed fever at that point.
The man's wife, two daughters and son will be sent to isolation at Prince Margaret Hospital, Chuang said. None had developed symptoms so far.
Another four patients who had been treated in the same ward as the man in Tuen Mun Hospital are also under medical surveillance.
A 65-year-old man died on January 13 in Queen Mary Hospital, while an 80-year-old man passed away on December 26 after contracting bird flu, apparently in Shenzhen.
Indonesian domestic helper Tri Mawarti became the first person from Hong Kong to contract the virus last month.
The latest case came one day after the government culled 20,000 live poultry and launched a three-week ban on sales of live chickens in wet markets.
Meanwhile, lawmakers accused Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying of being insensitive to stricken chicken farmers by urging Hongkongers to consider ending their tradition of buying live poultry for cooking.