Via The Standard: Ban on live Shenzhen poultry to stay for now.
The ban on live poultry imports from Shenzhen farms will remain in place in the near-term, the food and health chief said.
Ko Wing-man said as human cases of H7N9 bird flu have been detected in Shenzhen, any scrapping of the ban on live birds from there will not be considered.
This comes as Hong Kong on Wednesday confirmed its third case of H7N9 bird flu, with a 65-year-old man in critical condition at Queen Mary Hospital.
Initial checks by the Centre for Health Protection show he traveled to Shenzhen with his family on January 1 and 2, and they passed a wet market on New Year's Day. In Hong Kong, the patient did not visit any wet markets, but sometimes walked past Pei Ho Street Market, Sham Shui Po.
Ko said health officials are investigating how the man became infected.
The elderly man developed a cough, fever, and shortness of breath last Friday.
Visiting Queen Mary on Tuesday, he was admitted for chest infection and then transferred to intensive care. He tested positive for H7N9 the following day.
Five close contacts and over 90 other contacts have been located so far.
A family member and four patients from the same cubicle at Queen Mary have been put under quarantine for 10 days and prescribed Tamiflu.
They have not developed symptoms and tested negative for the avian flu.
Meanwhile, government workers cleaned up Pei Ho Street Market, while Food and Environmental Hygiene Department staff visited chicken stalls on the first floor and took 10 samples from five chicken cages, which tested negative for H7N9.
Department superintendent Tom Lam Wing-hong said: "Every night after close of business, stall vendors would clean their own stall. Our contractor will also conduct a larger-scale cleaning afterwards."