Via The Jakarta Globe: Fears Death Toll Could Rise in Indonesia Volcano Eruption. Excerpt:
Indonesian officials searched through thick ash for bodies Sunday after Mount Sinabung volcano erupted, killing at least 15 people, with the only sign of life an ownerless mobile phone ringing inside an abandoned bag.
Scorching clouds engulfed victims during the eruption on Saturday, leaving rescuers with little hope of finding survivors as they searched through ash up to 30 centimeters thick.
About 170 people, including from the military and police, armed with chainsaws and oxygen apparatus spread out through apocalyptic-like destruction in Sukameriah village, officials said.
Sukameriah, just 2.7 kilometers from Sinabung’s crater, is located in the “red zone” around the volcano, where human activities are strictly banned, disaster official Tri Budiarto said. Residents had been evacuated.
“It’s very dangerous and completely out of bounds. But many of the tourists still secretly went to the area to take photographs,” Budiarto added.
The first team to enter the village Sunday morning emerged 15 minutes later empty-handed, an AFP correspondent there said.
“There’s no sign of human life. All the crops were gone. Many houses were damaged and those still standing were covered in thick white ash. It was hard to walk in ash which nearly reached my calves,” Gito, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, told AFP.
“We didn’t find bodies but we picked up a bag belonging to one of the victims. The cellphone was ringing,” he added.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency, was unable to put a figure to the number of people still missing, but said there was a “chance” that the death toll might rise.
“A body was spotted near a tree, but we have yet to evacuate [it],” he said.
Officials said finding survivors was unlikely.