The local West African media are so far slow to report the outbreak, but Le Monde has the story: An outbreak of Ebola at least 59 dead in Guinea. Excerpt from a Google translation:
Southern Guinea known since early February an outbreak of viral hemorrhagic fever, which has, according to a new report, 59 died Saturday, March 22 announced the Guinean authorities. The epidemic is Ebola, as the diagnosis made at Lyon in France , explained the Chief Prevention Division in the Ministry of Health and Public Hygiene Guinea, Dr. Sakoba Keita.
"In yesterday (Friday) we got the first results from Lyon we announced the presence of Ebola virus as the cause of this outbreak of febrile fever mainly in Forest Guinea" , has he said. Ebola is characterized by a fever, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue and sometimes pronounced bleeding.
"The epidemic of Ebola fever raging in southern Guinea, including the prefectures of Gueckédou and Macenta since February 9, left at least 59 dead on 80 cases identified by our services on the ground " , a said Dr. Sakoba Keita. "We are overwhelmed in the field, we are fighting against this epidemic with the means at hand, with the assistance of partners (WHO, MSF, UNICEF, etc. ..), but know that it is difficult, but we will get there " added Dr. Keita.
Medical international organization Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said on Saturday launched an emergency response in the country. "Twenty-four doctors, nurses, logisticians and experts in hygiene and sanitation are already place while others will strengthen the team in the coming days " , MSF said in a statement.
In collaboration with the Guinean Ministry of Health, "MSF has set up an insulation structure of suspects in Guéckédou, and is preparing to do the same in Macenta " , two towns in the region Nzérékoré in southern countries adds NGOs also looking for people likely to have been infected through contact with patients. About "33 tons of material" will be directed by two planes departing from Belgium and France, said MSF.
Guinean authorities announced Friday have decided the "free treatment of all patients in centers of isolation" , the "census of all persons who have had direct contact with the patients who died and those with signs" of disease. The health minister, the doctor Colonel Remy Lamah had indicated that a mission was dispatched to the area where the first cases were reported to identify the disease, and samples sent to France for examination.
According to Colonel Lamah, cases of "febrile illness" recorded since February 9 have been "in some districts of the forest and Guinea Conakry. These cases were recorded in the prefectures of Guéckédou, Macenta, Kissidougou and Conakry ", he has said.
This appears to be the first Ebola outbreak in Guinea's history, which implies continuing spread.