Credit: Guinée Conakry
Via Le Jour, a report posted at 8:08 p.m. local time today: Ebola fever in Guinea: Still new cases reported in Conakry and the interior! The story deserves the exclamation mark. A Google translation, slightly edited, of the full report:
The results of viral haemorrhagic fever get heavier overnight in Guinea. The numbers of suspected cases increased in Conakry and in the interior of the country. Dr Sakoba Keita Division Prevention Ministry of Health, during a press briefing busy Friday evening, March 28, said:
"From January to now, our health services have identified 112 cases of viral haemorrhagic fever with seventy deaths. These cases are distributed among a number of prefectures. The most affected province is Guékédou, which today recognizes 73 cases with 51 deaths, followed by Macenta: 22 cases and 12 deaths, Kissidougou: 7 cases and 5 deaths, the Dabola: 2 cases and 2 deaths and Conakry eight cases and zero."
And to clarify: "Unlike our previous releases, which had reported five cases in Conakry with death, we had preliminary information from the fact-finding mission that visited the family of the person who died on March 18 .
"It was a Guinean citizen about 45 years, resident in Dabola who had previously received a commercial merchant who came from Guéckédou and died of fever, diarrhea and vomiting. Thereafter, the citizen has similar symptoms and radio messages, he realized that he is suspicious of this disease. He was evacuated by his family to the hospital Kipé. He arrived on March 17 and died the next day.
"The family decided to bring his body back to his village to Watagalah, 3 km from the sub-prefecture in the prefecture of Dialakoro Dinguiraye. Funeral ceremonies ended, the return of the delegation, we are left with about six family members of the deceased who were positive (biological tests were made yesterday) of Ebola haemorrhagic fever. In addition, we have two health workers who received deceased patient hospital Kipé, who now have a positive outcome."
Given that the medical staff is not spared by the disease, new measures have been taken: "We have called an emergency meeting at all health facilities in Conakry so that we review the conditions of hygiene compliance individual and collective. I recall that this disease is transmitted mainly through dirty hands, that is to say, through patient secretions: sweat, blood, urine and even including sperm. Certainly, our medical colleagues have had contact with the sweat of the patient and were contaminated, hence the need to educate all health personnel to observe the rules of hygiene.
"We are in the process of identifying all persons who had contact with the different cases in order to isolate them until the expiration of the periods of twenty-one days of incubation and all those who will have symptoms of disease, going to take to know their status.
"Starting today, we will set up committees in all municipal health directorates for all these contacts are then followed by specific individuals. Those attending will get sick proper care and others will be released" said the head of the Prevention Division.
So Guinea now sees a big jump in total cases, from 88 to 112, and a rise in deaths from 66 to 70. (Not all VHF cases may be Ebola, but that's a distinction lost on the dead.)