On its Guinea page, MSF has published Guinea: Successes and challenges in response to Ebola outbreak. This is an excellent overview of the situation as of April 7. Excerpt:
A number of patients have been discharged from Ebola treatment centres in Guinea after successfully beating the Ebola virus, says the international medical organisation Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). At the same time, MSF’s emergency teams are facing challenges in tackling the epidemic, with work currently suspended in one of its three Ebola treatment centres.
Ebola is associated with high mortality rates and there is no specific treatment for the virus. However, patients’ chances of survival increase if they receive proper care, including staying hydrated and receiving treatment for secondary infections.
“When the first patient came out from the treatment centre, I was so happy and the whole team was cheering,” says Marie-Claire Lamah, a Guinean doctor working in MSF’s Ebola treatment centre in Donka hospital in the capital Conakry.
MSF is supporting the Ministry of Health in its attempts to stem the outbreak, which has seen 151 suspected cases and 95 deaths to date, according to Guinean health officials.
MSF activities suspended in Macenta
In Macenta, in southeast Guinea, MSF activities have been suspended following an incident where local people threw stones at buildings and vehicles, under the mistaken impression that the disease had been brought into the country by MSF. None of the MSF team was injured in the incident.
The two Ebola patients who were in the treatment centre in Macenta remain there under the care of a Ministry of Health doctor, who has received training from the MSF team over the past 10 days in caring for Ebola victims.