Via The National, a little more information on the four cases reported in the WHO update this morning: Tunisian health worker in Al Ain suspected of having Mers is in good health. Excerpt:
ABU DHABI // The World Health Organisation said on Thursday that four additional cases of Mers have been discovered in the UAE.
The new cases, all healthcare workers, bring the number of people infected over the past week to 14. At least 10 of the infected came in contact with a colleague, Abundio Verzosa Esporlas, a 45-year-old Filipino paramedic who died on April 10 after contracting the virus.
All those infected are in stable condition and their family and healthcare contacts are also being checked, a WHO spokesman said.
A Tunisian health worker in Al Ain who was kept in isolation in hospital last week as a precaution is in good health, an embassy official said.
This follows concerns by a relative who claimed that the man, who works as a paramedic at Al Jimi Hospital, may have contracted the Mers coronavirus.
“We were able to speak to the Tunisian citizen today who confirmed that he’s in good health,” said the Tunisian diplomat in Abu Dhabi. “He was so surprised to know that he was infected but is confident that he will leave the hospital by tomorrow.”
The man, whose identity has been withheld, underwent a first test which showed his immune system was strong enough to fight off the virus.
“Tests confirm that the Health Authority – Abu Dhabi (Haad) is taking preventive measures,” the embassy official said. “After having spoken to him today, we are reassured he’s in a stable condition.”
Haad said on Wednesday that the situation was not a public health concern, and it was coordinating with the Ministry of Health and other authorities, taking measures recommended by the WHO.
The Tunisian embassy official did not say whether the man, who is believed to be in his 40s, had had direct contact with Mr Esporlas.
“The main issue is that we got an assurance, mainly from his colleagues, that he’s safe and that we are following up this case.”
Meanwhile, a relative of the quarantined man confirmed that Mr Esporlas was a relation by marriage. “My brother-in-law was the one who carried the Filipino from his bed in his accommodation and took him to the hospital on April 6,” the relative said.
He tested negative for the second test on Tuesday, and underwent a third test on Thursday. “We are now waiting for the results,” the relative said. “If it turns out negative, he can leave the hospital.”
Haad asked the public to carry on as normal and avoid rumours by referring to reliable sources for information on the illness.