Via República: Cholera in Rautahat out of control with 2 dead, 750 infected. Excerpt:
RAUTAHAT, May 24: A total of 60 locals on Friday alone came down with cholera at Gaidatar village of Ward No. 2, Chandrapur, a newly declared municipality of Rautahat district.
According to the District Public Health Office (DPHO) Rautahat, the number of patients was the highest on Friday compared to other days recently. The outbreak of the water-borne disease that began around a month ago has turned into an epidemic.
So far, around 750 patients have been affected by the disease in Gaidatar, 55 km north of district headquarters Gaur. Last week, two patients- Mohisang Maya Syangtan, 13, of Chandranigahpur and Bal Sunari Devi, 55, of Mahadpur village- lost their lives due to cholera.
Following Mohisang´s death, five other members of her family also became infected on Friday and are undergoing treatment at a free health camp set up in the village. Mohisang´s death due to cholera has left members of her family terrified.
According to doctors involved in treatment of the cholera cases, the deadly outbreak caused by the use of contaminated water has gone out of control and will soon spread to nearby villages.
Duryodhan Prasad Chandrabanshi, acting superintendent at DPHO, Rautahat said, the source of the drinking water used by locals has become contaminated and this has led to the cholera outbreak.
He further claimed that the epidemic can be brought under control only if the use of water from open underground sources for drinking is prevented and an alternative source of clean and hygienic drinking water is managed.
Likewise, Govinda Timilsina, operator of the local Timilsina Clinic in Gaidakot, which is also affected, said that the source of drinking water in the village became contaminated due to open defecation by the locals of Dhiyal VDC in Makawanpur even after the district was declared open defecation free. Dhiyal VDC is located upstream from the river that flows past Gaidakot.
Two community schools in the village, one primary and one secondary, were closed indefinitely after the students started coming down with cholera.