Thanks to Lucie Lecomte for sending the link to this June 3 report from QCostaRica.com: Three Year Old Boy From Southern Zone First Suspected Case Chikungunya in Costa Rica. Excerpt:
A three year old boy from the area of La Cuesta in the Southern Zone, is suspected of being the first case of the Chikungunya in the country.
The boy (whose identity was not released to the press) was admitted this morning to the Ciudad Neily hospital, confirmed the Roberto Castro Córdoba, Jefe de la Unidad de Análisis Permanente de Situación de Salud, of the Dirección de Vigilancia de la Salud, del Ministerio de Salud.
The mother is from the Dominican Republic, the father from Panama. The family, according to Castro, visited the Dominican Republic last month, one of the countries with the highest recorded cases of the virus.
On entering Costa Rica, the boy developed a fever and a petechial or maculopapular rash, so the mother consulted a private doctor who, in turn referred the boy to the Cuidad Neily hospital.
Castro said the boy was admitted to hospital “as a precaution, for observation.
“Given the development of the case it appears the does seem infected with Chikungunya, but we have isolated him as a preventive measure”, said Castro.
Blood samples are being sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the U.S.