Last week on August 25 the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare issued Liberia Ebola SitRep No. 102. As usual, it's days behind events, but it's strikingly thorough and detailed. And near the end it offers "Highlights" of the outbreak so far, which offer insights that numbers and maps can't provide. Some selections:
• No space at any of Treatment Units
• ETU at ELWA has stock-out of Loperimide, anti-malaria drug, hoods, duct tape and cefixame. PPEs will also run out in 5 days.
• 1126 out of 1247 contacts (90%) we seen by the four tracing teams
• JFK, ELWA-2 and ELWA-3 are currently full to capacity
• Currently, there are 38 bodies that need to be removed from ELWA.
River Gee County
• Holding area has been identified in Kanweaken but needs to be furnished.
• Health workers are in dire need of training.
• Materials/logistic needed have not arrived in country.
• Total number of patient in Foya Case management center (CFMC) = 61: 32 probable & 29 confirmed.
• Total of 11 new cases (All probable)(2-Kolahun District & 9-Foya)
• Ten (10) new deaths reported (6 confirmed-FCMC & 4 community deaths from Kolahun District)
• 4 probable deaths: 1-Sanniquellie and 3-Ganta.
• In the absence of holding center in the County there is a serious threat to maintaining infection prevention control at G.W. Harley Hospital as probable cases are self-reporting for admission at the hospital