Via The Nation: Ebola: FG threatens measures against foreign media. The news agencies are not named.
The Federal Government on Thursday warned that it might be forced to take measures against two international media houses for bias report about Ebola in the country.
The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu and Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, said the two media houses have been totally unfair in their report of the disease in Nigeria.
Chukwu said, “It was also observed that a segment of international media had been totally unfair with their comments regarding to the Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria and little have been said about the successful containment in terms of ensuring that it does not spread rapidly as it’s done in other countries.
“Up till now the disease is limited to only one state and all those who are suffering from Ebola virus as small as the number is are all primary contacts of the index case which came through a Liberian-American.
“Within this week prior to the meeting convened by the President, the country has carried out so many activities on Ebola.”
Maku on his part said, “We have had worries from some international media whose report could cause panic at the international level. We have noticed two that have particularly refused to send the true position of things in Nigeria in-spite of all our efforts to brief the media in a transparent way.”
He also expressed disappointment in the way the media houses in question have been portraying Nigeria case, as according to him, they are doing it as if the over one thousand victims are Nigerians.
He wondered why Nigeria should be lumped with the three other countries, knowing fully well that the disease was imported into Nigeria.
Apart from sounding painfully defensive, the health minister is doing Nigeria no favours by attacking the foreign media. A better strategy would be to tell the truth, tell it often, and tell it well.