Via ReliefWeb, UNICEF has published Sierra Leone Ebola Virus Disease Weekly update (3-10 August 2014). Click through to download the PDF. The summary:
• The cumulative number of laboratory confirmed cases is 652 (112 new cases since last week). The number of confirmed deaths is 240 with a Case Fatality Rate (CFR) based on confirmed cases of 36.8% (9 August 2014).
• Ninety seven (97) patients are currently admitted at the Kenema and Kailahun Isolation Units with cumulative discharges of 175 (survivors).
• The total number of contacts listed is 2309: Kailahun (875), Kenema (1036), Port Loko (52), Kambia (10), Bo (119), Bombali (65), Bonthe (26), Moyamba (9), Tonkolili (10), Kono (35) and Western, Area (72). 1215 have completed 21 days and are dropped off from follow-up.
Most Urgent Humanitarian Needs
In order to be more effective in the Ebola response there is an urgent need for the following:
• Additional Health Workers (doctors & nurses),
• Transport – Ambulances (4x4), Pick-ups (4x4), motorcycles,
• Medical supplies (including personal protective equipment),
• Nation-wide community outreach/social mobilization programmes,
• Scaling-up of Contact Tracing,
• Support to survivors & affected communities (including Family Tracing & Reunification and Psycho-Social Support).