The website of the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Health has been a disappointment since Ebola arrived in Lagos. (The Lagos state ministry website is even worse.) But after days of silence, we now have this statement: Federal Ministry of Health - Updated Summary of EVD Status of Nigeria, by Minister of Health as at Sept. 1 2014.
Minister of Health Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu makes correction/clarification in his opening speech at the Emergency National Council on Health Meeting at the Barcelona Hotel, Abuja, today
• Total number of confirmed EVD cases in Nigeria = 17 (including the index case).
• Total number managed in Lagos= 14.
• Number successfully managed in Lagos and discharged= 7
• Number of deaths in Lagos = 5
• Number presently on treatment in isolation in Lagos = 2
• Number of deaths in Port Harcourt (did not benefit from standard management) = 1(a doctor who treated a secondary contact of Sawyer's)
• Number of patients under treatment in PH = 1
• Number of patients that were 'treated' in PH (no stand treatment) and fully recovered = 1 Total number of survivors in Nigeria (as of today) =11;
• Total number of deaths in Nigeria (as of today) = 6.