Via Shanghai Daily: Second bird flu case confirmed. Excerpt:
A 75-year-old woman has been confirmed as the second person in the city this year to contract the potentially deadly H7N9 bird flu virus, the Shanghai Information Office said yesterday.
The woman, surnamed Chen, is in critical condition and receiving treatment in hospital, the Shanghai Health and Family Planning Commission said.
The case was confirmed on Thursday, though no details were released of how the woman became infected.
Nine people contracted H7N9 in Shanghai last year, seven of whom died.
The first case of this year involved a 69-year-old man who was confirmed as contracting the virus on January 17, authorities reported on Sunday. No details have been released regarding the state of his health.
To guard against possible further infections, Shanghai’s commercial and agricultural authorities said the trade in live poultry will be banned across the city from February 19 to April 30. A similar ban has been in place in Jing’an District since May last year, while officials in Huangpu recently announced plans to permanently close all five live poultry markets in the district.