Via The New York Times, an Associated Press report: California: Hospital Says ‘Superbug’ Infected 7.
A potentially deadly antibiotic-resistant “superbug” infected seven patients, including two who died, and more than 100 others were exposed at a hospital through contaminated medical instruments, the University of California, Los Angeles, reported on Wednesday.
Patients at Ronald Reagan U.C.L.A. Medical Center were exposed to the bacteria during endoscopic procedures between October and January, the university said. It may have been a “contributing factor” in the deaths of two patients, the university said.
Similar outbreaks of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae (CRE) have been reported around the nation. They are difficult to treat because some varieties are resistant to most known antibiotics. The bacteria can cause infections of the bladder or lungs, leading to coughing, fever or chills.
CRE infections have been reported in every state except Idaho, Alaska and Maine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
U.C.L.A. said infections may have been transmitted through endoscopes used during the diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic and bile-duct problems.