Via The Guardian: Child casualties highlight brutal cost of Yemen conflict as civilian deaths mount. Excerpt:
More than 550 civilians, including at least 115 children, have been killed in the street fighting and air strikes that have claimed more than 1,000 lives in Yemen since 26 March, according to the UN.
The UN children’s agency, Unicef, said at least 64 children had been killed by air strikes, 26 by unexploded ordnance and mines, 19 by gunshots, three by shelling and three by “unverified causes related to the conflict”. The violence has maimed a further 172 children, and injured a total of 1,185 civilians.
“There are hundreds of thousands of children in Yemen who continue to live in the most dangerous circumstances, many waking up scared in the middle of the night to the sounds of bombing and gunfire,” said Julien Harneis, Unicef representative to Yemen.
“The number of child casualties shows clearly how devastating this conflict continues to be for the country’s children. Without a speedy end to the violence, children will be unable to lead normal lives.”
In a statement released on Friday, the UN high commissioner for human rights (OHCHR) said that while the fighting between Houthi rebels and other armed groups had often been indiscriminate, Saudi-led coalition air strikes against Houthi rebels were still killing dozens of civilians despite the official end of the bombing campaign.
OHCHR said air strikes on military and civilian positions in Sana’a, Ibb, Hajjah, and Taiz, which occurred on 22 April – a day after Saudi Arabia said it was halting the strikes – killed 58 civilians, including seven children.