Via the Phnom Penh Post: Mass fainting at Kandal factory.
About 50 garment workers fainted yesterday at the King First Industrial factory in Kandal province’s Ang Snuol district, union representatives said.
Khouth Touch, the Free Trade Union president at the factory, said a number of workers had experienced stomach aches and diarrhoea that morning.
“When the other workers saw their workmates like this, they went into shock and fainted one by one,” he said, adding that officials from the Ministry of Labour were investigating the circumstances more thoroughly. Those who fainted were treated at nearby clinics, while the remaining workers had been allowed to go home.
Chea Houth, the company’s administrative officers, said ventilation had not been a factor.
“There was no smell in the factory. We suspected it was caused by the workers’ breakfast they ate at home, because the problems started when they arrived,” he said.
Labour Ministry officials could not be reached for comment.
According to FTU’s tally, more than 700 garment workers have fainted at work this year.