Via CBC News: Enterovirus D68 linked to death of B.C. man with asthma. Excerpt:
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control has confirmed that a man in his 20s with a history of severe asthma has died after contracting Enterovirus D68.
The death was confirmed in a conference call on Friday morning.
It is the first death in Canada linked to the disease.
"It's not known to what extent D68 may have caused or contributed to this death," said Dr. Danuta Skowronski with the BCCDC.
"But either way, this is a tragic loss for the family, and our heartfelt condolences go out to them," she said.
Skowronski said the victim, who was from the Lower Mainland, was in hospital earlier this week, and his health declined rapidly before he passed away.
She noted the victim did not have paralysis or neurological symptoms, which can occur in some cases.
Number of cases doubles in B.C.
The BCCDC said 36 cases of Enterovirus D68 have been confirmed in the province, double the number from last week.
Skowronski said the confirmed cases have been found in every health authority in the province, and the patients age in range from less than one year old to more than 80.
"However, consistent with elsewhere, 65 per cent of the cases are children under 10 years of age, and only about 15 to 20 per cent are adults 20 or more years of age," she said.
Skowronski added that two-thirds of the confirmed cases are male.
7 deaths associated with D68 in U.S.
Skowronski says the U.S. Centres for Disease Control is aware of seven deaths associated with D68 infections.
Before the 2014 outbreak in North America, Skowronski says three deaths had been associated with the virus — two in the Philippines in 2008 and one in Japan in 2010.
She adds the death in B.C. is the first health officials know of in Canada, as Enterovirus infections are not reportable in Canada or the U.S.