Via Flu News Europe:
Week 47/2016 (21–27 November 2016)
• Influenza activity remained low, but has started to increase in some countries.
• The number of virus detections among sentinel surveillance specimens increased to 16% of the total tested and indicates increasing regional activity.
• The majority of viruses detected this week were influenza A(H3N2).
• For week 46/2016, influenza virus detections increased to 10% among sentinel surveillance specimens. This is the earliest in a season that the positivity rate has reached 10% since the emergence of A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses in the 2009-2010 influenza season; during the last six seasons this occurred between weeks 48 and 51.
• Since week 40/2016, influenza A viruses have predominated, with most of those subtyped being A(H3N2).
• Few influenza-confirmed cases have been reported from hospital settings so far.