Via The New York Times, a September 2 report: No Zika Cases Reported During Rio Olympics, W.H.O. Says. Excerpt:
No Zika infections were reported in Brazil during the Olympics, either among athletes or visitors, the World Health Organization said Friday.
The international health agency convened experts this week to decide whether the Zika virus remained a public health emergency. They voted yes, they announced at a news briefing Friday, in part because new infections had been reported in Singapore and Guinea-Bissau.
But one bright spot was the Olympics. Brazil presented data that the experts said had convinced them that no infections had occurred either during the Games or after visitors and athletes had returned to their home countries.
“They gave us very convincing data,” said Dr. David Heymann, a professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who led the panel of experts. He said health facilities in Brazil had been poised to track and treat Zika cases, but had reported none.
The W.H.O. said in May that the Olympics would not significantly affect the spread of the Zika virus and that canceling the Games did not make sense. Its assessment came after a group of health experts called for the Games to be canceled, arguing that holding them would only exacerbate what had become a global epidemic.
But the W.H.O.’s assessment appears to have been be right, health experts said Friday.
“Many people have been tested and there have been no confirmed cases,” said Dr. Peter Salama, the executive director of outbreaks and health emergencies at the agency, adding that Brazil had been on high alert with “enhanced and active surveillance.”