Via the Mali Ministry of Health and Public Hygiene, a survey of the West African situation based on information from WHO: Situation of the epidemic of haemorrhagic fever Ebola. The Google translation:
So far no cases of Ebola outbreak reported in Mali
· No new suspects
· The 06 suspected cases are isolated: Laboratory results are expected but patients improve
· Minister of Health and the WHO Representative in Mali visited the surveillance teams and Sélingué Fingouana Thursday, April 10, 2014
· The emergency plan has been examined today and improvement will be done the weekend before final approval on Monday
Three new cases and two deaths reported. However, after harmonization and data cleaning, the total number of cases is 156 and 104 deaths (CFR: 67%)
Now, there are reports of cases in the districts of Guekedou, Macenta, Conakry, Dabola Kissidougou and Djingaraye (if Djingiraye has a history of travel to Dabola)
· Twelve cases are currently hospitalized
· 941 contacts were identified, 488 of which are still followed
· France Embassy and USAID join other donors for financial support through the Red Cross and UNICEF
· Cross-border meeting between Guinea and Liberia will facilitate WHO next week
Sierra Leone (same situation)
· At present there is no reported case. Study of a suspect / rumor case in Kono District is currently based on a request received Guinea.
· Monitoring was beeped throughout the country
· The Case of Lassa fever is increasing in the country probably due to strengthening of the surveillance system
· The plan preparation outbreak has been finalized and is used to mobilize resources
· The Department is preparing to distribute PPE proposed by WHO on the ground to build the capacity and confidence of health workers
· 25 reported cases with 12 deaths.
Note the mention of increased incidence of Lassa fever in Guinea, "probably due to strengthening of the surveillance system." With a major improvement in surveillance in the region, we would likely find much more disease of all kinds. But who wants to go looking for trouble, even if it will eventually come looking for us?