Via Thanh Nien Daily: Vietnam’s second suspected Ebola case discharged after quarantine. Excerpt:
Da Nang Hospital discharged a Vietnamese national on Friday who had been quarantined for 21 days after doctors feared he had contracted the Ebola virus.
Chu Van Chung, 26, who had spent two years as a guest worker in Guinea, where the deadly hemorrhagic fever first emerged, was quarantined on October 31.
Chung had just returned to Vietnam, where he tested positive for malaria and negative for the Ebola virus.
“After blood tests showed the patient only had malaria, we kept him for treatment for safety concern,” said Doctor Pham Ngoc Ham, director of the Tropical Medicine Department.
Dr. Ham said they decided to release Chung after he maintained healthy throughout his quarantine.
He said his hospital has helped Chung's family “a lot” to cover the medical, transportation and meal costs Chung racked up during his hospitalization.
Following his release, Chung returned to his family's rural village in northern province of Thanh Hoa.
“If the Ebola situation in Guinea gets better, I'll go back there because the working environment is very good. But if it remains worrisome, I might well look for a job at home,” he said.
Chung worked in Guinea for two years and returned to Da Nang after transferring through Morocco, Qatar, and Ho Chi Minh City.
His was the second suspected Ebola case in Vietnam; the first one was recorded in HCMC last August.
To date, Vietnam has not reported a confirmed case of the Ebola virus.