Via New Vision: Marburg: 11 suspects test negative.
Eleven suspects whose samples were on Monday taken to the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe for testing after they developed signs of Marburg, have tested negative for the highly infectious virus.
A total of over eight people who earlier got into contact with Abraham Baluku (who died of Marburg on September 28) were on Monday confirmed to have developed signs of the highly infectious disease creating fear in the country.
About 100 people had been put under surveillance. But results from the Uganda Virus Research Institute indicate that although the suspects had developed signs and symptoms similar to that of the disease, they did not contract the virus.
Among those who tested negative include: the brother of the deceased, two suspects (health workers from Mildmay Uganda), seven suspects from Mpigi Health Center IV and two relatives of the deceased who participated in the burial.
Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, the director general of health services at the ministry, said three suspect cases remain in isolation. Two of these are admitted at the national isolation facility in Entebbe.
They were picked from Rubaga Hospital after they showed signs similar to that of the viral haemorrhagic fever. Their samples were on Tuesday taken for analysis at UVRI.
They, however, had no contact with the confirmed case, a statement from the health ministry said.
The third suspect, who is admitted at Mpigi Health Center IV isolation ward, is a seven-year-old boy, who is one of the contacts that has been under surveillance for the last three days. His sample was among those that tested negative. He, however, awaits a re-run of his blood sample after 3 days.
A statement from the health ministry however, said that the suspects will continue to be monitored. Those who continue to have signs, tests will be run again after three days.