Thousands of fearful people in Longmen, a mountain town close to the epicentre of yesterday's earthquake in Sichuan, spent last night out in the open.
The earthquake that hit Lushan county at 8am toppled most of the old buildings in Longmen, a town of about 20,000 people.
Residents said the frequent aftershocks had driven them out of their homes to the relative safety of the streets, despite the hot weather.
An entire street of old houses was toppled.
"I was scared to death to see everything dropping down just as we were having breakfast," said Sha Qingqing, a 27-year-old mother, as she held her wailing daughter tightly. Sha's husband is working away from the town.
"I felt so helpless when my four-year-old daughter was crying during the shocks."
She said the local government had provided some food, but they still weren't sure where they should spend the night.
Of the towns worst hit, Longmen was the furthest rescuers and the People's Liberation Army could reach yesterday.
The winding road connecting the town to the outside world was packed with military vehicles, ambulances and fire engines, and more were expected to arrive.
Electricity and water supplies to the town were cut.
A pilot with the PLA Air Force based in Chengdu told the Sunday Morning Post that the village of Baosheng and the township of Taiping, both deep in the mountains, were more seriously damaged than Longmen. Helicopters had been sent to find landing zones as all roads to both settlements were blocked by debris.
A man who works for the Longmen hydroelectric board said yesterday's quake came as a bigger shock than the earthquake of 2008.
"At that time, there were some shocks and rumbling before the main quake arrived, so we still had time to run. But this time the quake came in a split second."In another report, the South China Morning Post says "at least 160" have died in the quake, and 6,000 have been injured.