Via Sunday's Zaman, a Reuters report: Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown. Excerpt:
A team burying Ebola victims has been attacked in Sierra Leone's capital, a member of parliament said, as a small group defied a three-day lockdown aimed at halting the worst outbreak of the disease on record.
In one of the most extreme measures since the epidemic began, Sierra Leone has ordered its population of 6 million to stay indoors as volunteers circulate to educate residents about the disease as well as isolate the sick and remove the dead.
Residents have mostly complied with the measures announced by President Ernest Bai Koroma earlier this week. On the second day of the lockdown, the streets were mostly deserted, except for ambulances and police vehicles.
The attack on the burial team on Saturday occurred in the village of Matainkay, some three miles from the Waterloo district of Freetown.
Claude Kamanda, MP for the Waterloo district, said that armed policemen accompanying the burial team quickly arrived, causing the attackers to flee.
The police Local Unit Commander in the area, Superintendent Mustapha Kamara said he sent reinforcement to the village “after some youths attempted to disrupt the burial”. He told Reuters that he has now instructed that the burial team must inform them to provide a stronger presence.