December 27 The Vancouver Sun and The Province began publication in new Pacific Press premises shared at 2250 Granville Street. For a little more than 30 years this would be where the two papers were published.
Curiously, although that building is now gone—replaced by upscale condos—the earlier homes of both papers are still around: The Province's old home was the Carter-Cotton building at the southeast corner of Cambie and Hastings, with the old Sun tower just a couple of blocks away at 100 West Pender.
Pacific Press had started in 1958 as a response to the rising costs of producing newspapers. The Sun and the Province merged their mechanical and financial departments, a change that had been happening in two-newspaper cities all over North America. The move by both papers to the 2250 Granville building was the next step. The two papers had been virtually next-door neighbors for more than 50 years already.
When the Sun started in 1912 it was at 125 West Pender, just around the corner from the Province. Then, in March 1937, a fire destroyed the Sun’s business and editorial offices. (There was just one casualty: the janitor suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation.) The Sun simply bought the World Building across the street at 100 West Pender, a funky green-topped skyscraper that had once been home to the now-vanished Vancouver World. The Sun staff walked across the street and set up shop, and were there until the 1965 move.
They’ve been out of there for 40 years, but the building is known as The Old Sun Tower to this day. The two papers’ next move, in 1997, would bring them to Granville Square at the north foot of Granville Street, their home today. (The presses that print the actual papers are in Surrey.)